- Keep your hands clean!
- Make sure your stitches lie flat. This will prevent your thread from twisting. If it does stitch, drop the needle and allow it to hang freely - the thread will untwist.
- Keep even tension on the stitches. Pull each stitch with the same amount of tension.
- First stitch the design area, then the plain background.
- First stitch the cross stitches, the the backstitches.
- First stitch the darker colours, then the lighter.
- When stitches of the same colour are far apart it's better to end the thread and start it again in a new area.
- Stab up and down. When working with your fabric in a hoop it is preferable to stab the needle vertically up and down through the fabric when making each stitch.
Add your own tips and tricks in the comments below!