How to Cross Stitch [LESSON 6]: Washing & Framing
- Rinse the piece under cold running water.
- Add a small amount of dishwashing liquid.
- Rinse in cold water until the water runs clear.
- Roll your project between two clean towels
- Squeeze gently, do not wring!
- Let your project air dry until it is damp.
- Iron your project by placing it face down between a folded towel and pressing it lightly with a warm iron.
- Place the backing fabric front side down on top of your inner hoop.
- Lay the project finished side up on top of the backing fabric, and attach the top hoop.
- Tighten the nut or screw securely.
- Tug the corners of the backing fabric and the project slightly to make the fabric taunt.
- Tighten your main hoop once again.
- Trim the backing fabric so it is level with your inner hoop.
- Trim the project fabric down to about 0.5” (1,3 cm) – enough to go over the edge of your hoop.
- Use textile glue and start gluing around the circle.
- Put a little glue on your finger and dab it on the hoop wall.
- Press down your fabric and hold in place for several seconds until the glue starts to bond - keep working all the way around your hoop.
- Make sure your glass frame is clean before framing.
- Cut a piece of cardboard or mountboard to fit inside your frame.
- Make sure there is some room left (about 2-3mm all the way around).
- Take a pen or pencil and mark the centre at the top, bottom and sides.
- Draw lines from top to bottom and from one side to the other to mark the centre.
- Position your cross stitch piece in the centre of the cardboard or mountboard.
- Measure the border around the design and make sure that it's equal at all sides. Insert pins along the top edge to secure it.
- Stretch the fabric down and insert pins along the bottom edge.
- Turn the cardboard or mountboard over.
- Using a full thread of DMC, start sewing the top and bottom edges together.
- Go up and down as if you are lacing two pieces of fabric together, spacing the stitches 5-7mm apart.
- When you reach the other side, go back and pull each thread tightly, one at a time.
- Fold the side flaps inward, insert pins along both edges and repeat steps 10 through 12.
- Place the cross stitch piece in your frame, with or without a mount and secure with the back of the frame.